Saturday, March 10, 2012

Climbing Mountain Kinabalu Experience

It has been a long time since I wrote the last post in my blog. Partly is because I have started working and seldom have time to write my blog. Another reason is because I’m lazy to write blog.

This time, the purpose for me to write blog is to capture my Mount Kinabalu climbing experience. It all started from the cheap air ticket offered by AirAsia. Last year, flying from Kuala Lumpur to Kota Kinabalu and return only cost RM32, excluding the luggage and in flight meal. The deal is too irresistible, without having much consideration, we have bought the flight ticket. On top of that, Tune Hotel also have irresistible offer. After checking their website, the price that they offered is only approximate RM1.00/room/night. We bought 5 nights of stay at Tune Hotel and it only cost RM5/room.

The next step is to plan the itinerary for the trip. After looking for some information on the website, we decided to climb Mount Kinabalu. Mount Kinabalu is the highest mount in Malaysia, standing at the height of 4095.2m. At first I thought that Mount Kinabalu is just an ordinary mountain, to climb to the peak of mountain is an easy task. Luckily my friends asked me for some training before taking on the real challenge. Training at Broga, Batu Caves and Bukit Gasing is nothing compare to climbing to Mount Kinabalu.

Before we start, everyone is so semangat.

At the entrance, the summit trail broad.

The day before our hiking trip, I’m so excited until I have insomnia. I sleep until 4am and wake up early to depart to Kinabalu Park. The trip to Kinabalu Park from Kota Kinabalu is around 2 hours journey. The journey is full of hill, green forest, haze and amazing people. We reached the entrance of Kinabalu Park at 8am. After applying the permit and confirm the accommodation at Laban Rata, we start our hiking journey at 9am. Before I start to hike, our tour guide offered to carry my bags, he charged me for RM8/kg. I brought a 6kg bag and it cost me RM48. At that point, I’m reluctant to pay for him to carry my bag. The beginning of the journey is quite easy, the middle is starting to be challenging and to the peak is extremely hard. I was relief when climbing to the peak, the load of the bag is getting difficult and I glad the tour guide has help me to carry the load (although he charge some money).

Have a break, have a Kit-Kat - During the journey to Laban Rata.

We reached our accommodation at Laban Rata at 3pm. It was a difficult journey where it took us 6 hours to climb. After checking in to the hostel, I took my bath and sleep straight away. Dinner will be served at 5pm, hence I sleep until 4.45pm. Then wake up to take my dinner and sleep again, the time that need to wake up is 2am. That day I also have insomnia, what a terrible day to start my climb.

At Laban Rata

Our accommodation.

We planned to wake up at 1.30am but can’t sleep and have to wake up at 1.00am. Wake up at 1.00am and we take our time to chit chat before having our supper. After having supper, the weather is dizzy. There is some rain and our tour guide told us that we have to observe the weather. If the weather is not good, we might need to can
cel our trip. Luckily the rain stop after a while, we start to climb to the peak of Mount Kinabalu. Taking 3.5 hours to the peak of mountain is not an easy job. We have to go through cold weather, windy condition, dark place and it really tough to reach to the top of Mount Kinabalu. After reaching the peak, we planned to wait for the sunrise, however due to cold weather, I can’t tahan that cold condition. At one time I can’t feel my lips and my hand almost have frostbite. At last I go down from the peak alone cause unable to stand the cold and windy condition. Worse, the weather is raining and I have to wear raincoat to go down from the peak. It is not an easy jobs, climbing the mountain need stamina, going down mountain need your leg. When you go down to the mountain, your leg will not have feeling. Is totally pain until the limit that you feel you lost your legs.

Magnificent view - the cloud is below you.

After reaching the peak, I went to our accommodation first and took my bath the first thing when I reach my accommodation. The water is extremely cold, really cold until I almost got frostbite. After bathing then go for breakfast and we went down the hill from 9.30am. We reach the bottom at 2pm. It took us 4.5 hours, the journey going down is not though but the legs will be hurt since we are using it for breaking.

The whole journey is memorable and most importantly, I have conquered the highest mountain in Malaysia. That is an achievement for me, despite the cold and freezing conditions, all the hard work pay off after I have reached the peak of Mount Kinabalu. The lesson that I learned: when there is a will, there is a way. Reaching to the peak is a test to your will, when you are determined, everything is possible.

For those who are going to take on Mount Kinabalu as a challenge, you must have the will and determination to success. All the best for future climber.

8 comments:

Yvonne said...

Good job Ching Hwa!

Yvonne said...

Good Job Ryan!

Ruo Xuan said...

Well Done!

Nicole said...

Hello , do you mind to tell how much is your package? And mind to let me know about the extra charges or info? Thanks much !

Ryan Gan said...

You can check the rate at http://www.suteraharbour.com/v4/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=129&Itemid=164

Anonymous said...

just dropping by to say hello

Encounters Nepal said...

Everest Base Camp Trekking:Along with hiking through mountains and valleys, the Everest base Camp lets you travel through traditional Sherpa villages and Gompas means monasteries. We view the chaste peak Buddhist customs and their sacred peaks and valleys as well. The beauty of the great Mount Everest lying in the background of all other immense peaks can be spotted as the trek culminates at the foothills of the Everest Base Camp.
Trekking in Nepal
Everest Base Camp Trekking
Annapurna Circuit trekking
Manaslu Circuit trekking
Kanchenjunga base camp Trekking
Mansaarovar Kailash Shiva Parbat Yatra

Encounters Nepal said...

Everest Base Camp Trekking:Along with hiking through mountains and valleys, the Everest base Camp lets you travel through traditional Sherpa villages and Gompas means monasteries. We view the chaste peak Buddhist customs and their sacred peaks and valleys as well. The beauty of the great Mount Everest lying in the background of all other immense peaks can be spotted as the trek culminates at the foothills of the Everest Base Camp.
Trekking in Nepal
Everest Base Camp Trekking
Annapurna Circuit trekking
Manaslu Circuit trekking
Kanchenjunga base camp Trekking
Mansaarovar Kailash Shiva Parbat Yatra